Frequently Asked Questions

Is smoking or drinking allowed in the common areas? 

Elmwood is a smoke-free community. Smoking is not permitted in any apartment, balcony area, or stairwell in the community.

Consumption of alcoholic beverages is not permitted in any of the common areas, parking facilities, storage areas, recreational facilities, or grounds of the community. Suspicious smells or odors can be reported to the Building Management office.


Are pets allowed? 

Pet are welcome with some breed restrictions..


When is rent due? 

Rent is due on the 1st day of each month. If rent is not paid on the 5th, resident agrees to pay a late charge of $125.00. Rents and fees are to be paid in person or by mail to Elmwood Apartments, 4320 South 700 East #14, Salt Lake City, UT 84107. Cash payments are not accepted.

Rent payments received after 5:00 p.m. will be credited on the following business day.


Can I sublet my apartment? 

Residents shall not assign their apartment or sublet any portion of the premises without prior written consent of the Landlord. The lessee must provide a written letter stating his/her address and telephone number to be contacted while the apartment is being subleased, dates of the sublease agreement, and names of the prospective sublessee(s). The prospective sublessee shall complete a rental application and be approved according to the income and application approval standards.

Residents should be aware that lessee shall be held financially responsible for the apartment should the subtenant default on rent or have cause for eviction.


What is the policy relating to multiple lessees? 

Unrelated residents sharing an apartment shall each qualify for that apartment based on the following:

1. Multiple unrelated residents shall not exceed two for any apartment leased.

2. Each resident shall have qualifying income equal to two (2.0) times the monthly rental amount. All income or information on funds to pay rent must be verifiable.

3. Rent shall be paid by a single check. Resident shall notify management of who shall be the party responsible to send the check. Failure to pay by a single check shall constitute a default in the lease agreement for that apartment.

4. Any desired change of lessees on the lease must be pre approved by management and a lease amendment executed before the change in lessees must occur.


What is the policy relating to drug and criminal activity on the property? 

Any residents, occupants, guests, family members, or other persons related to or affiliated in any way with the resident shall not engage in any unlawful activity on or around the property. The resident must promptly disclose all such unlawful activity in writing to Building Management so the proper authorities may be notified.


What can I do in the common areas? 

The sidewalks, stairways, parking lots and other similar areas of the building shall not be obstructed or used for any purpose other than entrance to and exit from the apartments.

Loitering or causing disturbances are not permitted on the stairways or in the parking areas of the buildings. Residents are responsible for seeing that their visitors obey house rules while on the premises. The use of skateboards, scooters or rollerblades in any part of the community is prohibited.


Are food and beverages allowed in the common areas? 

Only if all residents or guests clean up after themselves.


Can I leave my personal property outside? 

Common areas are not to be used for storing furniture, luggage or other personal property. Personal property left in common areas will be tagged and it will be removed after 5 days. If the owner of the personal property can be identified, the person will be contacted to remove the item(s) within 5 days or Building Management may remove the personal property.


What are the noise restrictions? 

Residents should not make or permit any disturbing noise in the building. Residents should not do or permit anything to be done that would interfere with the rights, comfort or conveniences of other residents. The period from 10:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m. is considered quiet courtesy hours. During this period, any activity that generates noise that unreasonably disturbs another resident is prohibited.


What is the window policy? 

Nothing should be thrown or emptied out of the windows of any apartment. Nothing should be hung from the outside of the windows of any apartment.


Can I add a shade or awning to the outside of my window? 

Shades, awnings or window guards are prohibited on the exterior of the buildings.


Are signs permitted? 

No sign or message of any kind should be displayed on or from any residence, common area or limited common area (including any balcony), nor shall any sign or message of any kind be inscribed, painted, engraved or affixed to the exterior of any apartment, common area or limited common area (including any balcony) except as permitted by Building Management.


Can I use a charcoal, gas or wood burning grill? 

Cooking or any use of charcoal or wood-burning grills is not permitted on the premises of this property at any time.


What can I put on my terrace? 

Terraces should be kept clean and in a neat condition at all times. Building Management reserves the right to require the removal of any items it deems unsightly or offensive or that detract from the exterior appearance of the community. The following are examples of items not permitted on any balcony: antennae, satellite dishes, radio poles and similar devices or equipment; hot tubs and spas; sheds, playhouses and similar structures.

Only high-quality patio furniture that is constructed primarily of metal, glass or wood may be stored on terraces. All furniture placed on terraces should have rubber or plastic furniture tips on the legs to protect the surface of the terraces.

Outdoor carpeting, coverings or similar material may not be installed on or over terraces.

Nothing should be hung from or attached to any railings, walls or other portions of any terrace.

No rugs should be beaten on terraces, patios or outdoor living areas, nor should dust, rubbish or litter be swept from a apartment or any portion thereof off the terraces. Terraces are not to be used for storage of any kind of materials, goods, bikes or other personal items.


Can I adjust the heating, lighting or air conditioning in the common areas?

No.  Please do not interfere in any manner with any parts of the heating, lighting or air conditioning apparatuses in the common areas.


What should I set the temperature at in my apartment when I’m away? 

During cold times whenever residents are away, it is required that the thermostat be set in the heating mode with the temperature at a minimum of 65 degrees. If the thermostat is set in the air-conditioning mode, the apartment will not be heated, and experience has shown that water lines are likely to freeze.


Should I "air out" my apartment? 

Hygienists recommend that homes be "aired out" on a regular basis to avoid the buildup of pollutants. This can be done by opening the front door when it is extremely cold outside or by cracking open the sliding door or windows for a few minutes with the furnace or air conditioning fan turned on. This should be done whenever the apartment seems stuffy. It is particularly important that this be done during the air conditioning season so that there is not an excessive build-up of humidity.


How do visitors enter the buildings? 

Visitors can use parking space that is not covered.

Residents are responsible for persons they permit to enter the building.


How do I dispose of my trash?

Residents are responsible for the disposal of all trash and rubbish from their apartment to the dumpster in the middle parking lot.

All trash must be put in plastic bags of suitable size and tied at the top before being thrown away. Any wet garbage must be placed in double plastic bags before disposal.

No furniture, mattresses or vehicle parts are to be left in the trash or recycle areas unless they are fully enclosed within the applicable dumpster or container. Residents are responsible for the disposal of rugs, furniture, appliances, Christmas trees and other large items. Such items or materials should not be placed in the dumpsters.


Can Building Management enter my apartment?

Building Management and its duly authorized agents have the right to enter any and all of the apartments, limited common areas and storage units in cases of emergency originating in or threatening such apartments or any other part of the premises, whether or not the residents of the apartment are present at the time.

Keys to each apartment will be maintained and secured in a locked box in the building manager’s office. These keys will be used only when a resident is locked out, to allow authorized visitors access into a resident’s apartment, or if a threat of fire, water damage, or any other condition may adversely affect the common elements or other apartments. For non emergencies, authorized workers may enter an apartment only with permission of the resident or with 24-hours written notice.

No key may be removed from the locked box in the building manager’s office and used for entry, except for purposes noted above, without the consent of the resident. No entry shall be provided to any individual without positive identification being given to Building Management at the time of entry. The person must be listed as a resident, occupant or approved person to enter the apartment.

No resident may install locks in addition to the standard door locks.


Where do I park? 

Residents will use the covered/reserved parking space/s assigned to them upon their lease signing.

Building Management has no liability to the resident or any other person for any claims, damages or costs (including attorney’s fees) arising from damage, loss, theft of any vehicle or other property (including property of the resident), or injury to or death of any person (including the resident and the resident’s family, agents, employees, visitors, or licensees) arising indirectly out of or in any way in connection with the use of the parking space or any part of the parking lot by the resident or the resident’s family, agents, employees, visitors or licensees unless caused by the gross negligence or willful misconduct of Building Management or its agents.

Caution should be used when entering and exiting the parking lot; there is always a chance of encountering foot traffic.

Only passenger cars, small trucks and motorcycles are to be parked in the parking spaces. No trailers, mobile homes, trucks over three quarters of a ton, boats, recreational vehicles, buses or commercial vehicles may be left in the parking space unless authorized in writing by Building Management. No motor vehicle, trailer or other vehicle belonging to a resident or guest shall be parked in a way that impedes or prevents ready access to any other resident’s parking space. Vehicles must be parked within the designated parking spaces. Vehicles parked outside the lines or occupying more than one space or blocking traffic will be subject to towing at the resident’s expense.

Residents and guests are to obey the parking regulations posted. No resident shall use or permit any family, guests or other persons to use parking spaces of other residents unless permission from such resident is procured in advance.

All vehicles parked in reserved parking spaces must be highway drivable and currently and properly licensed. Current license plate numbers and vehicle descriptions must be registered with the Building Management office.

All vehicle doors and windows must be locked while unattended.

Failure to obey all laws, rules and management directives can result in warnings, fines, barreling and towing of the vehicle at the resident’s expense. All fines will be charged to the resident’s account. The resident shall not perform repairs to vehicles on the property or allow them to be performed by others on the property.


Where do my visitors park?

Visitors may park in either of the three parking lots in any spot that is not covered.


Where do I pick up my mail? 

Mailboxes are located just inside the entrance to the property from 700 East. Regular U.S. Postal Service is delivered to these mailboxes. Packages too large to fit in a resident’s mailbox may be placed by the mail carrier in a parcel box, and a key will be left in the mailbox with a note from the mail carrier notifying the resident of the delivery and the location of the parcel. Packages that are too large to fit in the parcel boxes will not be left in the mailbox area.

Private carriers, such as Federal Express and UPS will deliver packages to your door. If the resident is not home for the delivery, arrangements will need to be coordinated directly with the carrier.


How are newspapers delivered? 

Building Management works with local newspaper carriers to facilitate delivery to residents’ doors. Newspapers can be ordered online at www.mediaoneutah.com or by calling MediaOne at 801-204-6100.

Newspaper and postal services should be stopped if the resident will be away for an extended time.

Privacy Policy   |   Terms of Use   |   Translate
© Copyright 2018

Equal Housing
Powered by MarketApts.com®